Ethernet hum on Pi + i-Sabre V3

Ici on parle de Raspberry PI, Sparky, Odroid... avec des solutions comme Squeezelite, MPD, Max2Play... ainsi que leur DAC et accessoires dédiés
ArjenA

Ethernet hum on Pi + i-Sabre V3

Message par ArjenA » mar. 05 juil. 2016 23:31

Tonight I finally got round to laying a new ethernet cabe from my switch to my audio set. Wifi takes a lot of power on the Pi and I heard of cases where it interferes with the sound.
However, when plugging in the ethernet cable I get an audible hum. Could this be a ground loop of sorts? I don't have a non shielded cable here long enough to reach the switch, but before I go out and get one I would like to know if anybody else experienced something like this. The cable I use now is a Cat6 shielded cable with the metal casing on the plug connected at both sides.

rikardo1979

Re: Ethernet hum on Pi + i-Sabre V3

Message par rikardo1979 » sam. 09 juil. 2016 18:56

ArjenA a écrit :Tonight I finally got round to laying a new ethernet cabe from my switch to my audio set. Wifi takes a lot of power on the Pi and I heard of cases where it interferes with the sound.
However, when plugging in the ethernet cable I get an audible hum. Could this be a ground loop of sorts? I don't have a non shielded cable here long enough to reach the switch, but before I go out and get one I would like to know if anybody else experienced something like this. The cable I use now is a Cat6 shielded cable with the metal casing on the plug connected at both sides.
does this hum appear only when you connect lan cable? I using just cheap CAT5 cable from my unit to near switch which is than linkd to near router. I have same HW as you. RPi 2 + I-Sabre V3
~~~~>>>Please always follow rules and read before you post<<<~~~~

ArjenA

Re: Ethernet hum on Pi + i-Sabre V3

Message par ArjenA » sam. 09 juil. 2016 23:13

I put an extra switch between the cable and the DAC so I could use a cheap cable with plastic plugs to connect. Hum is gone. So it appears the hum is caused by the grounded cable. I'll cut the connector and replace it wit a non-shielded one. Or keep the switch in between ;-)...

Répondre