Need help - RaspDAC Kit DIY Network drive Sabre V3

Ici on parle de Raspberry PI, Sparky, Odroid... avec des solutions comme Squeezelite, MPD, Max2Play... ainsi que leur DAC et accessoires dédiés
zenobiaflex

Need help - RaspDAC Kit DIY Network drive Sabre V3

Message par zenobiaflex » mer. 30 nov. 2016 06:32

Good evening,

I just finished putting my new RPi3 kit with Sabre 3 DAC into the OLED enclosure with the power switch. A few observations that I had during the build were:

1) I had to find the YouTube video to even figure out how to build this. There were no instructions included. In the YouTube video, the power button wire colors don't match the colors on the power button I received. I tried to make sure that it is installed correctly by looking at the writing on the little tape tabs/flags in the video, but I cannot be sure that this is correct.

2) The little holes in the bottom of the enclosure do not match up to the holes in the RPi3. I was able to get one screw to go into the RPi3.

3) The standoffs included in my kit are not the same as in the video. Mine has little hex nuts.

I followed the Volumio installation instructions. I attach the power to my mains using a wall adaptor since the supply uses EU prongs (I have 110V power but the supply is supposed to be able to go from 100V - 240V so that should be okay).

When I press the power button, it flashes forever. I cannot find an IP address in my router for this device. I took the top off the enclosure and I can see that the only light on the RPi is red. If I press and hold power for 4 seconds, it turns off. If I unplug and plug back in, then press the button... I just get the flashing red light... never a green light. I tried putting a known working copy of Kodi (from another RPi kit) instead just to see if it is the SD card but I have no luck... it just flashes red.

Is there anything I am missing here? Are there a series of steps that someone can recommend just to see why this isn't working?

I was a little disappointed that there are no written instructions on the website. The video is good, but when the wires don't match and the holes in the case don't quite match up to the RPi3, it worries me a bit... :cry:

Any help would be much appreciated. I don't think I can send this back economically since the shipping costs were more than 10% of the device...

Best regards,

Charles.

rikardo1979

Re: Need help - RaspDAC Kit DIY Network drive Sabre V3

Message par rikardo1979 » ven. 02 déc. 2016 09:27

regarding the power up issue, what is your power supply rating? It seems your voltage is to low to power up this device.
You need 6V PSU not 5V! Reason being that the DAC board taking power too and passing it to RPi which needs stable 5V.
~~~~>>>Please always follow rules and read before you post<<<~~~~

rikardo1979

Message par rikardo1979 » ven. 02 déc. 2016 09:31

hex nuts goes on top of the board, dividers in between the boards and screws are at bottom of the case. Check my photo

zenobiaflex

Message par zenobiaflex » mar. 06 déc. 2016 03:45

Thank you for the responses! I will open my box and see if I put the hex nuts on incorrectly. I don't think that I did..

Regarding the Power Supply Unit, I am using the PSU that came with the kit from Audiophonics. It is supposed to be 6V output. The only thing I can think of is that the PSU may not deliver 6V when plugged into my 120V home mains here. It is supposed to take 110V-240V but perhaps it doesn't manage the voltage difference. I will probably take the whole thing apart and test the RPi with a known PSU that came with another RPi. If that works, then the culprit may be the Audiophonics PSU... if that is the situation then I will have to shop locally for a PSU. I am just not sure what the specification is for the Audiophonics input plug (size.... will have to look for that on the website). I am really hoping it isn't a hardware fault of some type because I can't see buying a replacement from France... the shipping was too expensive to do this twice.

Thank you so far...

Chuck

rikardo1979

Message par rikardo1979 » mer. 07 déc. 2016 11:41

zenobiaflex a écrit :Thank you for the responses! I will open my box and see if I put the hex nuts on incorrectly. I don't think that I did..

Regarding the Power Supply Unit, I am using the PSU that came with the kit from Audiophonics. It is supposed to be 6V output. The only thing I can think of is that the PSU may not deliver 6V when plugged into my 120V home mains here. It is supposed to take 110V-240V but perhaps it doesn't manage the voltage difference. I will probably take the whole thing apart and test the RPi with a known PSU that came with another RPi. If that works, then the culprit may be the Audiophonics PSU... if that is the situation then I will have to shop locally for a PSU. I am just not sure what the specification is for the Audiophonics input plug (size.... will have to look for that on the website). I am really hoping it isn't a hardware fault of some type because I can't see buying a replacement from France... the shipping was too expensive to do this twice.

Thank you so far...

Chuck
To be honest I would not use those little PSU bricks. They are pretty dirty and noisy. Get soem decent linear power supply. You can find some decent kits on eBay. You can find somehave have pot to andjust DC out to requirements (variable out)

zenobiaflex

Message par zenobiaflex » jeu. 08 déc. 2016 05:16

Hooray!!!

First, I agree... the powerbrick may be dirty... and I may look for a linear supply, but I wanted to make sure this would at least work first. I can confirm that it now works (hence, my hooray!).

Here is what I did to check this:

1) I removed the RPi completely and used a known power supply that powers my other RPi media player to check the RPi 3.
a) at first I did not think it worked, but when I put the SD card for Kodi into the naked RPi3, it booted up and showed the media player
2) Using the Audiophonics PSU brick, I tried using an image burner to burn Volumio onto the SD card that came with the kit. I got the same result as before.. flashing power button and red light (solid) on the RPi... no lights on the DAC
3) I burned RuneAudio onto another SD Card and tried booting again. I should mention that I did this by putting the SD carrd directly into the RPi (not using the extension cable so I could eliminate that as a problem) This time, it worked completely! I can only assume that either the SD card is not entirely compatible OR there is something wrong with the Volumio image that is linked here in the forum.
4) I put it all back together completely and installed the SD card cable and RuneAudio still works.

I have not tried playing actual audio yet... just happy the thing works!
I also note that my earlier problem getting the screws on the bottom to align with the RPi holes was the result of not realizing there are lock washers that come off and go on the outside. This was hard to see in the youtube video, but it makes all the difference in the alignment of the board.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else. The really tricky thing with this is that it wasn't quite clear whether the power button was plugged in correctly and I didn't know how the device would behave with a "bad" SD. Essentially, if the SD is bad or not installed... or the image cannot boot, the result will be a flashing power light and a solid red light on the RPi. With a good SD card, the green light on the RPi flashes a couple of times then the DAC lights start flashing too... and the power button stops flashing and becomes solid.

Thanks for the tips all!

C

rikardo1979

Message par rikardo1979 » sam. 10 déc. 2016 11:43

zenobiaflex a écrit :Hooray!!!

First, I agree... the powerbrick may be dirty... and I may look for a linear supply, but I wanted to make sure this would at least work first. I can confirm that it now works (hence, my hooray!).

Here is what I did to check this:

1) I removed the RPi completely and used a known power supply that powers my other RPi media player to check the RPi 3.
a) at first I did not think it worked, but when I put the SD card for Kodi into the naked RPi3, it booted up and showed the media player
2) Using the Audiophonics PSU brick, I tried using an image burner to burn Volumio onto the SD card that came with the kit. I got the same result as before.. flashing power button and red light (solid) on the RPi... no lights on the DAC
3) I burned RuneAudio onto another SD Card and tried booting again. I should mention that I did this by putting the SD carrd directly into the RPi (not using the extension cable so I could eliminate that as a problem) This time, it worked completely! I can only assume that either the SD card is not entirely compatible OR there is something wrong with the Volumio image that is linked here in the forum.
4) I put it all back together completely and installed the SD card cable and RuneAudio still works.

I have not tried playing actual audio yet... just happy the thing works!
I also note that my earlier problem getting the screws on the bottom to align with the RPi holes was the result of not realizing there are lock washers that come off and go on the outside. This was hard to see in the youtube video, but it makes all the difference in the alignment of the board.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else. The really tricky thing with this is that it wasn't quite clear whether the power button was plugged in correctly and I didn't know how the device would behave with a "bad" SD. Essentially, if the SD is bad or not installed... or the image cannot boot, the result will be a flashing power light and a solid red light on the RPi. With a good SD card, the green light on the RPi flashes a couple of times then the DAC lights start flashing too... and the power button stops flashing and becomes solid.

Thanks for the tips all!

C
glad to hear this

RuneAudio is good, I was using it myself when I started with this kit http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/audiopho ... t3377.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I would highly recommend you to try MoodeAudio. I using it myself as the sound quality is much better with this distro.
I have tried all of the available solutions out there and this one is still come as a winner

zenobiaflex

Message par zenobiaflex » sam. 10 déc. 2016 22:42

"glad to hear this

RuneAudio is good, I was using it myself when I started with this kit http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/audiopho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... t3377.html

But I would highly recommend you to try MoodeAudio. I using it myself as the sound quality is much better with this distro.
I have tried all of the available solutions out there and this one is still come as a winner"

----

Hey, this was really great advice. I was intimidated at first to try this until I got to page 3 and 4 of the link you provided and saw that the Audiophonics folks provided the ssh instructions for updating the MoodeAudio distro. I decided to try it on the SD card that came with the kit, thinking that maybe the card was bad. Turns out that the image of Volumio that was linked here in the forums may be corrupt... who knows. Anyway, I followed the instructions using the 3.1 (latest at this time) of Moode and only got slightly hung-up on the instructions for changing reboot and shutdown. At first, I thought I had to change a bunch of code then I realized it was literally changing one word with the code...and the latest version calls it power off, not shutdown.

My impressions are this:

When I tried RuneAudio, I was initially very disappointed. I was hearing a lot of hiss/buzz as soon as I turned it on. I don't have a $27,000 receiver... I have a reasonably decent Onkyo Stereo receiver... and some very short supposedly good quality RCA cables (Amazon, made in Japan). Still, I would not expect my non-Audiophile tuned ears to immediately think that my Sonos Connect sounds better (no hiss). Anyway... first thoughts were the power supply. I would not be surprised if that is a contributing factor. The kit (with Rune) definitely sounded better when I turned the volume on the receiver down to below the mid-point and used the software volume.

When I switched to MoodeAudio, it was all very different. I didn't hear hiss when nothing is being played... even turned up the volume on the receiver. I also decided to download something that was recorded in the last few years (versus recorded in the pre-2000 era from an audio DVD... REM Automatic for the People). Since this is a French kit, I decided to buy a French artist...Random Access Memories (Daft Punk) from HDTracks as my test album. It definitely sounds really good. I am sure I could play with the limited settings on the receiver (Direct vs. Phase) but so far, I am very pleased.

In summary.. I can highly recommend the minimal effort it takes to download MoodeAudio (latest version) and apply the changes required in the link. Heck, I would even be willing to do it on one of my cards and save the image (if I can figure it out) prior to setting any personal setting like my NAS... just to give back to the community. Really, though, the instructions are great. They should be a sticky.

Two final things for me:

1) the clock doesn't seem to work right... I can't figure out how to set the time... only the timezone... but that didn't seem to change. Not a big deal.

2) now that I see how great this is, I can see value in getting a better PSU... a linear PSU. One thing, though, is that I am in the US so the PSU's on the Audiophonics website may be a pain. I really want one that will work here and doesn't require a travel adaptor (like I am using now) just to plug it in.... so if someone has an link for a reasonable works-out-of-the-box PSU... I would love to see it.

Thanks for recommending MoodeAudio... that saved this kit for me!

C

rikardo1979

Message par rikardo1979 » dim. 11 déc. 2016 14:41

@zenobiaflex
Great stuff and I am pleased that MoodeAudio works well for you. I still do not know how is it possible that it makes so much difference in sound quality compare to other distros.
I was redoing my Roberts R747 again software-wise this morning as I have not used it for a while. I thought I going to give a Volumio 2 a try.
Oh man, was I disappointed with sound. It was so compressed and volume level so low. Flashed latest MooodeAudio and bang. Different device right away without any tweaking

So yes, MoodeAudio still rocks

Regarding the LPSU I bought this one (came from China, delivered to UK) https://goo.gl/DlYWtQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would say a good deal, especially with R-core transformer. I choose the 9V DC out which can be adjusted by little pot inside. Some says that 9V may be a bit much for RaspDAC kit but I have measured and tested and its just fine. Have have it running for 6 or how many months and its perfect.

Well, kind of :)

The transformer developed a little mechanical buzz(I thought R-core do not suffer from this :?: :o ). So now I am in a process talking to seller and trying to sort it out. I am a bit picky if it comes to any kind of noise when I listen to music :twisted: :roll: One of the reasons you find no spinning HDD, FAN or anything what can make a noise in my room 8) :D

If they not going to send me a new one or new transformer I would search and buy from local supplier

Hope this helps a little

Répondre